Wednesday, January 2, 2013

January 2nd 2013

FELIZ ANO NOVO!

I can't believe it is already 2013! How fast the year flew by, right? I'm so excited to be here in Brazil at this time.
So on New Year's Eve, we didn't really do anything. But it was really loud at night, with lots of fireworks going off until about 2am. So I didn't get to sleep very well. It was kind of scary too....sounded like gunshots going off.
Anyway, my companion Elder Comsa got transferred to a new area last week, so now I am with my new companion, Elder Castro Alves from Belem. He is very cool. He does magic tricks for everyone and it is pretty awesome.
I really love my work here in the office and the privelege I have to work with so many missionaries and the mission president. I will be very sad when President Prieto is released, but it will be a great opportunity to learn with the new mission president. I guess they will be announcing who it is next month?

We are working very hard here in this ward. We are serving in the oldest ward in Goiânia. Basically, all the other wards in the city were divided from this ward. We are working a lot with less-active members, trying to reactivate them and help them come back to the true gospel of Christ. It is stressful work and it is sad to see how far people have strayed from the straight and narrow path. That is why I love the hymn we get to sing in Church!:

"Hold to the rod, the iron rod
'Tis strong and bright and true
The iron rod is the word of God
Will surely see you through"....

Something like that. We need to constantly strengthen our testimony through prayer and scripture study. Take a look at the free time you have during the day and use that time wisely to listen to the Scriptures in your drive to work, or to continually say prayers throughout the day. I know that it will help each of us strengthen our own testimonies.

Love, Elder Spencer Eastwood

No comments:

Post a Comment