Tuesday, July 24, 2012

July 23rd 2012

Hello my family and friends!!! How are you all this week? Im doing pretty well. Had a decent week this week, with one of the best experiences of my life! I'd like to share it with you:

We were recently given a reference for a young family. There is a single mom and she has four kids ranging from 9 to 14 years old. Her nine year old son recently suffered a dangerous fall, hit his head, and has become permanently brain damaged. At the same time that this happened, the young mother lost her job. We arrived at her doorstep on the same day that she and her son came home from the hospital. She proceeded to tell us that she had seen us a week ago at a busstop, wanted to talk to us, but we got on the bus before she could. Since that day, she had been praying for the Lord to send us to her again. And there we were on her doorstep! With tears in her eyes she explained her situation to us, to which we replied, "We know; we are here to help you." We administered to her young son and the next day he was already doing better. To help her and her family, we took her to the church where the Relief Society was having a 'bazar'. All the sisters in the ward brought clothes and other household items to donate to those in need. This young single mother was so touched to see the Spirit of charity touching the hearts of the ward members who offered her complete help. As we walked back to her house, carrying in our hands many bags of clothing, pots and pans, and food supplies that she had never dreamed of having, I was touched by the Spirit and I started to cry. For the first time in my life, I felt like I was truly doing something completely unselfishly. I was truly helping another child of God who was in need. I got to our house that night and my heart was filled with more love and happiness than I have ever experienced in my life. I will NEVER forget this experience. Every time we visit that family now, the little boy runs right up to me and gives me a 'bear hug' (which I taught him). This blessing could never have come to me had I not decided to serve a mission...for that, I am forever grateful to my family, my friends, my Church leaders, and all who supported and continue to support and pray for me while Im serving the Savior. Im reminded of the scripture: 2 Nephi 5:27


This week was really hot! Yesterday, I drank almost 3 liters of water and I was still almost dying. I had the privelege to baptize another person this weekend. What a blessing it is to hold the priesthood! I also thought you would be interested to know that the Bishop in the ward I am serving has called me to be the new Gospel Principles teacher! Awesome!

Well, until next week! I know that this Church is true. Jesus Christ lives and He is our Savior and Redeemer.

Love, 
Elder Spencer D. Eastwood
2 Nephi 2:11-13
Alma 5:14-15


No comments:

Post a Comment